Wednesday 21 January 2009

Faith in Leaders


Did you see the hope and joy of Barrack Obama's inauguration ceremony and listen to his uplifting speech? Masterful rhetoric.
I wondered if his election promises would be delivered. I wondered if one man could make a difference. I wondered if it takes a powerful personality to change the direction of the enormous machinery of government. I wondered if he could inspire many millions to "ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country". I wondered if his one voice would be heard, and believed, around the world, when, perhaps, the chair of a committee would not. I wondered how realpolitik and unforeseen events would knock him from his path. And I wondered if what I was seeing was the effects of a population that has faith; a population that is desperate to believe that someone will save them.
I don't think that there are any contradictions between leadership and Interactive Democracy. But ID encourages more involvement in society, more effort and less abdication of responsibility to politicians.

No comments: